Don’t know what flavor cupcakes to bake? Try these!
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup yogurt (any kind – vanilla flavored)
- 3/4 cup & 1 tbsp milk, divided
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa power
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners and an additional pan with 2 liners. (This recipe makes about 14 cupcakes)
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Whisk in sugar then chill in the refrigerator for 1 minute.
- Stir in egg, yogurt, 3/4 cup milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain.
- Transfer 3/4 cup of batter to another medium bowl. Mix in cocoa powder and 1 Tablespoon milk until combined.
- Spoon 1 Tablespoon of vanilla batter into each cupcake liner. Top with a spoonful of chocolate batter, then more vanilla batter on top until all batters have been used up.
- Swirl the batters together very lightly using a toothpick.
- Bake the cupcakes for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool before frosting.
To frost the cupcakes, I used storebought Betty Crocker classic vanilla icing which I piped by cutting a tiny piece off of the corner of a ziploc bag. In a small bowl, I mixed some of the vanilla frosting with a tbsp of cocoa powder to create the chocolate frosting. Alternate vanilla and chocolate in rings on the cupcake to create a bullseye on each cupcake. Chocolate chip in the middle of the bullseye is optional :)